After certain age it’s a must to see your doctor once in a while. If you are an expat and would like to keep an eye on your health, then choose one of the health check ups in Chiang Mai. Find out more how, when and where you can book one.
I have been doing health check ups since I was quite young. My parents encourage this and I always try to at least do a PAP smear and a blood test once a year. I believe in prevention and I know that it’s best to find out if something’s wrong sooner rather than later. When I lived in Thailand, I also went to the doctor and tried to keep up my routine as much as possible. I always recommend everyone to do the same.
If you’re an expat and looking for a health check up in Chiang Mai, this post will help you to choose the best one.
The importance of health check ups
In my opinion health check ups give you a peace of mind. Even if you’ve never had any problems before, it’s still good to keep an eye on your body on a regular basis.
In times when more people than ever are diagnosed with cancer, diabetes and other illnesses it’s important to have a regular health screening. The sooner you find out if something’s wrong, the better. And knowing that everything’s fine makes you relaxed and allows you to focus more on other important things in life.
Other important benefits are:
- Health check ups decrease the chances of complications.
- They increase the life span and improve health.
- Reduce health costs by avoiding expensive medical care in the future.
- Establish good relationships with the doctor.
- Update you on new medical technologies that can save your life in the future.
When should you have a health check up?
Health check ups are for nearly everyone, who are 20 and over. Each age group has its own set of screenings. If you are 25 and relatively healthy and don’t have any family history of serious illnesses, you probably don’t need tests like mammograms or ECG. But, it’s still good to do a blood and urine tests, and if you’re a female, don’t forget to do your PAP smear!
Your doctor should recommend you the suitable tests for your age.
Health check ups in different countries
Each country has its own set of rules when it comes to health check ups. For example, in Poland you can just go to your doctor and ask for a referral. You can also go to a private clinic and request the tests. They are cheap and you get the results very quickly. It’s normal in my country to do the screenings quite often.
When I lived in the UK and went to a doctor to ask for a referral, she looked at me in a strange way and asked if I thought I had HIV. As it turned out, it’s not that common to have a blood test done once a year. You need a private insurance to get it, which is not cheap. If you don’t have one, you need to wait until you’re a certain age, or get sick, to be illegible for extra tests and screenings.
In many countries health check ups are limited to older or sick people. As a young, healthy person, you can’t have them done. And since I have been living abroad and moving around quite a bit, I always do my health check ups at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, or anywhere, where the healthcare is good, private care is cheap and I have time to do it.
Health check ups in Thailand – What you need to know
Nearly everyone can have a health check up in Thailand. But, before you decide to have one, remember about these important facts.
Everyone can have a health check up in Thailand. It doesn’t matter if you’re a tourist or an expat and what you actually do in the Land of Smiles.
Before you go for your screenings, remember to take your passport with you and insurance documents.
Expat private medical insurance
It’s good to have private medical insurance for expats in Thailand. Some policies allow you to have a screening once a year. It makes things easier. They recommend a hospital, sometimes even make an appointment for you and the cost is covered by your premium!
One of a great insurance companies for people residing in Thailand is Luma. I’ve worked with them for a long time now and can recommend their insurance. It’s affordable, covers you in the whole of South East Asia and some policies include a free health screening. Check them out if you are living in the Land of Smiles.
Choosing your hospital
Healthcare in Thailand is generally very good. One of the best private hospitals are in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Just be careful when choosing one as some of them are very expensive and the care is mediocre. Please read below if you’re looking for good hospitals in Chiang Mai.
Health check ups in Chiang Mai
So, let’s have a look at some of the health check ups you can get in Chiang Mai. I chose the best options for you and hope it will help you to get the best one.
Chiang Mai Ram Hospital
This is my go-to place if I need medical care. I had my mole removed there and go there to see a GP if I need to. The hospital is slightly more expensive than the other ones, but the care is excellent.
Check out my review of the check up at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital.
- To book your appointment, simply show up at the hospital before 11am and you’ll be able to have it done straight away. You can also message them on
- The nurse will have a little chat with you and will recommend you some tests.
- There are all sorts of tests on offer: blood, urine, ECG, ultrasounds, mammograms, smear, eye, height, weight, BMI and many more.
- The cost depends on the tests you will choose to have. The full set for a 30 year old is around 250 Euros.
This is a modern, private clinic offering a whole set of services such as vaccinations, STD screenings and specialist referrals.
- You can book an appointment on their website.
- The standard health check up includes blood and urine tests, swabs and stool testing.
- The price depends on what you would like to have done.
Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai
One of the most well known hospitals. Some say that it’s the most modern in the city. I would recommend it if you’re looking for a very good health check up in Chiang Mai.
- You can book your screening by calling: 052-089-817.
- The screening includes weight, height, blood, urine tests as well as a chest x-ray and physical examination. You can add more tests if you’d like.
- The price starts from around 50 Euros.
Another place with good reputation. It’s a modern hospital, where you can get all sorts of treatments.
- You can book an appointment by emailing [email protected]
- The check up includes blood and urine tests, height and weight exams and a chest x-ray. You can add extra tests if you’d like.
- The prices starts from around 50 Euros.
So, here you go – the best places to have a health check up in Chiang Mai. I hope that it will help you to stay in shape and look after yourself!
Do you have any questions? Would you like to share your experiences or your point of view? Don’t be shy! Leave a comment!
This post includes affiliate links.