World Nomads is one of the most known companies providing travel insurance for digital nomads. If you’re looking for something sutiable, this post will tell you exactly what they offer. I hope I will be able to help you choosing the right policy.
- 1 Why do you need travel insurance?
- 2 World Nomads – Who are they?
- 3 What’s covered by the World Nomads Travel Insurance?
- 4 What’s not covered?
- 5 World Nomads Policies
- 6 How much does it cost?
- 7 How to make a claim?
- 8 Why should you buy World Nomads Travel Insurance
- 9 World Nomads and Covid-19
- 10 My experience with World Nomads
Last edit – June 2020
I have been working remotely for quite some time now. I have lived in many countries, moving from one place to another. Each time I faced the same difficulty – if I’m not a resident of the country I stay at, I’m not entitled to free medical care (unless it’s in Europe and if I don’t stay in one place for longer than 3 months). So, I need private medical insurance, which is specifically customed to my needs and my lifestyle.
The first insurance for digital nomads I used was World Nomads. Since then a few other companies have turned up on the market. World Nomads, however, are sustaining a strong position and they still provide lots of people with great service.
Here’s what they offer and what you can expect using their policies.
Why do you need travel insurance?
I think nowadays people are more aware that buying a good travel insurance is a must before you go away. However, if you are still not convinced, please remember that anything can happen. Life can really surprise you and it’s better to pay some money for a good policy than find yourself in financial trouble while away from home.
World Nomads – Who are they?
World Nomads was created in 2002 by Simon Monk, an Australian who understood the problems many long-term travellers face. He wanted to offer a policy to those that are abroad for longer.
World Nomads was the first such company on the market and they continue to grow. They offer travel insurance to people, who travel a lot during the year. It’s perfect for backpackers and digital nomads.
I discovered them a couple of years back and used them for the whole time I lived in Asia. I’ve always recommended them and I think they are one of the best solutions for people who have a similar lifestyle to mine.
What’s covered by the World Nomads Travel Insurance?
It’s important to shop around for good travel insurance. Below you will find everything that World Nomads Travel Insurance includes, so you can check if their policies are for you.
Urgent medical care
If you have been in an accident you can get medical care straight away. There is 24/7 assistance. You are covered for emergency medical treatment, including:
- Day surgery and out-patient visits
- Visits to practitioners
- Medical evacuation
Urgent dental care
You are covered if:
- You have an unexpected infection
- You broke your tooth
- You injured your mouth or your jaw in an accident
If you die while travelling, the World Nomads will pay for:
- Transporting your body back home
- Arrangements for the funeral
- Reasonable cost for someone who will transport your remains back home
World Nomads will pay for any costs when your baggage is lost or stolen during your travels. This includes:
- Replacing some of the items
- Cost of replacing documents
- Buying necessary items that are needed until your luggage is retrieved
You are covered in case of:
- If you have to cancel your trip due to sudden illness
- You are called to jury service
- You are made redundant
- There’s been a theft from your home
Medical repatriation happens if you suddenly fall sick during your travels and have to go home for treatment, or when you get to a place from which you need to be transported to a hospital.
World Nomads covers the cost of the air ambulance, helicopter and any other additional transportation.
What’s not covered?
There are a couple of things you need to be aware of. Not always World Nomads will return the cost of the medical care, or lost/damaged luggage.
Here are a few exceptions. World Nomads will not cover you:
- If you’re on drugs or have been drinking alcohol excessively
- If you’re doing an activity the policy doesn’t cover
- If you’ve been acting illegally
- If you ride a motorbike without a helmet or the correct licence
- Dental work other than that related to emergency dental pain relief
- Cosmetic dentistry or whitening
- Pre-existing dental problems
- Major dental work, such as crowns, dentures, bridges and implants
- Loss of life through suicide.
- Dying from drugs or alcohol.
- Having a pre-existing medical condition that results in death.
- Doing anything illegal that results in your death.
- If you don’t keep your gear safe and secure.
- If you don’t report the loss to the police and appropriate carrier or authority within 24 hours of the loss being discovered. Get a written report!
- Any item that is covered under another insurance policy or where it is recoverable from another source.
- Personal baggage stolen from an unattended vehicle between 9pm and 9am.
- Sporting equipment while in use.
World Nomads Policies
World Nomads offer two kinds of policies – Standard Pland and Explorer Plan.
Explorer Plan is slightly more expensive and the coverage for each section is higher. It also includes things that are not included in the Standard Plan. By choosing this policy you are also covered in case of natural disasters, money theft, missed connection etc.
How much does it cost?
It is different for everybody. The cost of your policy depends on:
- Your country of residence.
- The countries you will be travelling to.
- The length of your travels.
- Your age.
How to make a claim?
You can make your claim online. If you have your policy, you need to:
- Create an account.
- Log in.
- Fill in the form.
- Attach supporting documents.
- Write down your reference number.
After you do all that, you can track your claim online. The customer service team will contact you by email.
Why should you buy World Nomads Travel Insurance
When you compare the World Nomads Policies with some of the other companies on the market, you might come to the conclusion that they are quite expensive. Why then should you buy it? Here are some of the reasons.
It’s easy to buy
The purchasing process is very easy and not complicated at all. You can do it all online and it takes minutes. Simply, go to the World Nomads website, fill in the form and pay online. You will get your documents by email.
World Nomads are always available when you need them. This is especially important in setressful situations when you’re abroad. You can contact them by phone, or email.
You can also create an account, where you can make a claim. You will be able to track the progress of your claim, too. It really saves a lot of time and worry.
You can travel long term
Many insurance companies require you to go back to your country of residence every few weeks. World Nomads allow you to be abroad for a long time, no questions asked.
World Nomads and Covid-19
When writing this article, the world is still dealing with the pandemic. Many insurance companies created their rules for those effected by Covid.
With World Nomads you are covered if you travel to countries that are not on the travel ban list. For more information head to this section on their website.
My experience with World Nomads
I used World Nomads for 2 years while living in Asia. The policy wasn’t very expensive.
I made only one claim, when I had an infection and had to go to the doctor in Chiang Mai. I contacted the customer service, made a claim online and the cost of the treatment was returned to me a few days after.
I’ve never had any problems with their policies and was always very happy with the service they provided.
I hope that you learned a lot from this post and you have made the right decision wheather to buy World Nomads Travel Insurance or not. Please leave a comment, if you have any questions, or suggestions.
This post includes affiliate links.